Please note that Maya 2009 is technically NOT supported on 10.7 (Lion) so it may not install the Maya Core.
As a workaround, you can try to installing Maya 2009 SP 1 using Pacifist.
1. Download the lastest version of Pacifist.
2. Download Maya 2009 SP1 for the Mac here:
3. Open the .dmg or .mpkg file using Pacifist, select all the components and Install it.
4. Maya 2009 uses a legacy licensing system so you will need to provide the Autodesk Business Center your serial number and your ethernet address. Please include (in Anything else you want to tell us?) your ethernet address when filling out this form: http://www.autodesk.com/licensesupport.
5. If you don't have a license, you will get this error message and this is expected.
The reason for this error is because Mac 10.7 does not have any PPC (Rosetta) code in it. The Product Configuration Wizard (PCW) was programmed with PPC (Rosetta) code and is included in Mac OS 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6*.
*Rosetta Information for 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
Mac 10.7 drops PPC (Rosetta) support
What is Rosetta?
Creating a license file on the Windows/Mac using a Text Editor
I have included a demo of the installation process: