Typically, Simulation CFD users use their local workstation as a license server.
1. Setup your Simulation CFD workstation as a license server. i.e. PC-WORKSTATION1
2. Install Simulation CFD and set it up as a network version and put in the servername. i.e. PC-WORKSTATION1
3. Run Simulation CFD 2013. When you try to use a Solver, there is an error:
The (basic) Solver license could not be checked out from license server
You have the correct licenses and it is noted in the Licensing dialog box above but for some reason, it is not being picked up.
4. The solution is to search for the LICPATH.LIC file in C:\Program Files\Autodesk and edit it.
SERVER PC-WORKSTATION1 000000000000
SERVER 127.0.0.1 000000000000
NOTE: If you edit the file using Notepad and you can't save it after editing it. Just save ithe file your desktop and manually move it into the C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Simulation CFD 2013 folder.
5. Ah, there is no place like home...ah...127.0.0.1.
Thanks to Royce Abel for sharing this to the community.