Sometimes a bit of luck is involved in solving a problem. Error messages are good but sometimes, the error message may NOT correct. In this case, the license server was setup correctly with a Autodesk T1 license and AutoCAD Map 3D 2012 was not launching. There was a -5 error.
Based off this technical solution, a -5 error means that there No such feature exists on the server.
We then confirmed the following:
1. The license server was working correctly and there were more than enough licenses on the server.
2. Other clients computers could run the software and could connect to the server.
3. The computers were in the same office. Only one workstation was having the problem.
3. We also used FLEXLM_DIAGNOSTICS=3 and it appeared to be searching for the license but it could not find it.
4. In the folder: C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\AdLM, the *.log file had the following error message and it matched the -5 error description.
8596 2013/12/03 14:58:14 ComputerName=CNU2230D2C
8596 2013/12/03 14:58:14 OS=6.1.7601.Service Pack 1
8596 2013/12/03 14:58:14 File=AdlmIntNWFBLicense.cpp,Line=766
8596 2013/12/03 14:58:14 VendorID=3 [FLEXLM-NW]
8596 2013/12/03 14:58:14 VendorError=-18 [Server does not support this feature]
8596 2013/12/03 14:58:14 FLEXLM-NW=v188.8.131.52 build 87342 x64_n6
8596 2013/12/03 14:58:32 Reason=Fatal error
During the troubleshooting process, the user mentioned that the system was a laptop and he was trying to borrow a license while on VPN and it crashed.
Eureka! We then checked for in the registry to see if a license was borrowed and there was indeed an entry in the hive in the following location.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\FLEXlm License Manager\Borrow
We backed up the registry key [File > Export] and then deleted it. We then launched AutoCAD Map 3D 2012 and it was able to connect to the server as expected and the -5 error disappeared.
Thanks to John H. for confirm that this workflow solved the problem.